Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Butter pecan crescents


I just couldn't resist making these pecan cookies that are floating all over the internet under other names like Russian tea cakes or Mexican wedding cookies. After having eaten my share of Häagen Daas's butter pecan ice cream in my past life, I know the flavors of butter and pecan are simply perfect together. I have to say I am eternally grateful that their butter pecan ice cream isn't available here in Stockholm. 

I saw these pecan cookies on Lottie + Doof, a lovely blog that is focusing on 12 days of cookies just now. I was mesmerized immediately by day one -- their maple pecan cookie. It's melt-in-your-mouth buttery-yummy! Irresistible. My Swedish husband said they reminded him of his childhood. I said they are exactly the cookies that my mom purchased from my neighbor in Bombay, except with pecans instead of cashews. You could just sit there and inhale the butter flavor if you didn't want to actually eat one. Especially one just out of the oven.

I changed only a few things from the original recipe - I left out the orange and chopped the nuts roughly. I just made a third of the recipe because I really don't want to gain weight before my second wedding this year! (We celebrated in Stockholm, and now everyone's coming from Sweden and America to Bombay, India -- how fun!)





Butter pecan crescents
Adapted from Lottie + Doof
Yields 8

50 g (4 1/2 tbs) best quality salted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 tbs powdered or confectioners sugar
82 g (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
1 tbs maple syrup
25 g (1/4 cup) finely chopped pecans
Extra confectioners sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Cream the butter with a spatula, then add sugar, maple syrup, salt and vanilla and mix until light and fluffy. Stir in the pecans and flour and use your hands to bring together into a dough.

2. Divide into 8 pieces and shape into crescents. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 5 - 7 minutes, until golden.

3. Once the cookies are cool, dredge them in vanilla powdered sugar.

Enjoy these rich divine cookies any which way you can! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks yums! Love pecans! Maple syrup + pecans + vanilla ice cream is a favorite :D

    http://veganparade.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...