Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Raspberry Caves






















































Classes are out for the summer and I have a little bit of time again, yey! So I set out to bake cookies to ship
to my grandfather in Bombay. My grandmother used to make these savory cookies with black pepper and
ajwain seeds that we all just loved, so I tried to recreate that for my grandfather since he really misses her.
And then I decided to share some classic Swedish cookies that can be found in most cafes around Stockholm
as well as most birthday celebrations. They're called hallongrottor which translates as raspberry caves
and are a very tender and buttery cookie. I think the secret lies in high quality butter and luckily that is easy
to find here in Stockholm.















































This recipe comes from my sister-in-law who took it from the Renee Voltaire cookbook. It's a rather simple
recipe as it requires just creaming the butter and sugar until the sugar crystals dissolve a little, then adding
some flour and baking powder for a little bit of spreading. A child would most certainly enjoy baking these.

I decided to use strawberry jam instead of raspberry simply because my sister sent me her homemade
California strawberry jam. I think any jam could work well here.

Warning: please share these cookies with others instead of keeping them to yourself as they are rather rich
 and can lead to undesired weight gain... My new rule for eating these is a 30 minute jog prior to or after!
That said, enjoy! 

Raspberry caves
from the Renée Voltaire cookbook

115g (1 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Raspberry jam (or any other jam of your choice)

1. Cream the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla extract, flour, baking powder and mix into a 
dough. Shape into a log and wrap in parchment paper and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.

3. Slice the cookies to a half inch thickness and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place 
them at least 1 1/2 inches apart as they will spread while baking.

4. With your thump, press a cave into the center of each cookie. Spoon about 1/4 tsp jam into the center. 
Bake 8 - 12 minutes, until golden around the edges. Allow to cool in the pan. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...